Monday, June 16, 2014

Celery and Romaine Lettuce Re-purposing

It might sound gross to you, but I re-purpose celery and romaine lettuce. And, it's actually not gross at all. Well, kinda it is. But hear me out...

When you cut a stalk of romaine or celery to use the good parts, what do you do with the rest? Feed your pet rabbit? Compost it? Toss it in the trash? All of those things are good and fine, but did you know that if you put the little stub in water and sunlight that the inside will grow back? Then you can plant the stub and harvest the vegetable.

Kind readers, listen! All I did was go to the grocery store, cut these veggies and then kept the stubs. Then I stuck the stubs on my deck in water. I refilled the water every day or every other day. And, Voila! You are growing your own produce! Apartment dwellers, people with a black thumb, and people who love to garden now have an easy opportunity to keep the circle of life cycling. Isn't it great?



I am going to plant my celery and romaine before I start harvesting the leaves and stocks because the part that is getting old and grimy grosses me out. I also hope that the vegetables keeps producing for me.
I stuck some shish kabob sticks in the vegetables to keep them upright
And as a side note, did you know that you can do this with avocado pits? (You can see one behind the celery and romaine that's growing.) Stick that puppy in water, and keep it upright and it'll turn into an avocado tree...eventually.
I changed this water out a few times....looks yucky.


I'm planting my re-purposed celery.

My re-purposed romaine going in.

Grow, little ones. Grow.

You can also regrow green onions. Just plant them and water them, and watch them grow! Any of you have any other re-purposed veggies to share?

Green onion buds

I planted them right in the dirt. We'll see how they turn out.
There is a pretty solid thunderstorm taking place outside our house right now, and the soil was still wet from watering the garden yesterday, so I didn't even have to water these things much. We'll see how the soil looks after the storm passes.

Anyway, this week, keep your veggie stubs and see what you can grow! It's a great science project for your kids, and it is a great way to save some of your hard-earned moolah! Please let me know what you repurpose! Thanks so much!

-Amber


2 comments:

  1. What a great way to save money and eat healthier! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading! I hope it works for you like it did for me!

    ReplyDelete