Monday, August 18, 2014

Bittersweet Reality

Today is a very bittersweet day. The bitter part is that at 2:22 a.m., my Grandpa Niggli passed away. He hasn't been doing very well the past few days, and had fluid on his lungs. He was even placed in Hospice this last weekend. I am so glad that my aunts and mom can be at rest now that he has passed, and that he will not be suffering, but, it's always still sad to lose a loved one.

Just yesterday, we told the girls that my grandpa wasn't doing well, and as we talked about it, we prayed for him. Lydia shed a few tears, and Julia grieved with maturity (she didn't want to cry), but we had a very sad few moments thinking of the illness of my grandpa. So, as I thought about telling my girls the news this morning, I knew they would still be sad, but not too shocked.

The girls were up super early this morning because today is also the first day of school for them. So at 6:30, Julia came up stairs and I told her about the news of my grandfather's passing. She didn't say a whole lot at that point. When Lydia came up just a few minutes behind her, I told her as well and she didn't say much either. So, in the next few minutes I explained to them that they should say something kind when something like that happens. Maybe something like, "Mom, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa's passing, are you ok?"

As I was still explaining to my girls about sympathy, my sister called. Lydia wanted to express her sympathy to her Aunt Aubrey right away, so I handed her the phone. Dave, Aubrey and I had to suppress our laughter when Lydia said, "Aunt Aubrey, are you ok? I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa passing out." I'm so thankful that even in sad times, children are able to make us laugh. Even if we do have to suppress that laughter for the sake of their feelings. Awwww, Lydia.....so kind.

So, the sweet part of this bittersweet day is that Lydia was able to make us laugh and also that it is my girlies first day of school. I didn't get any cute signs made but just so you know, Julia is in 2nd grade and Lydia is in 1st. Here are some pics from their big day!


Chocolate Chip Pancakes! Yum!

 I'm not sure why the peace sign was necessary...
 This is her school uniform (except for the pink sweater.) She will get to wear some form of this all year.
 Like big sister, like little sister...
 Lydia's skirt uniform was too short. So, we talked to her teacher and found out that a look alike outfit until we get a new skirt is fine. Isn't her little sailor's dress cute?

 And more PEACE!
Beautiful Babies!

Julia at her Desk
 At the private school we are sending the girls too, they call these desks offices. The girls are beyond excited about this.
Lyd at Her Desk Office
I love my girls. I miss them, and so does Saige, but I know they'll love their new school. Summer ended way too abruptly for me. How about you? Here in North Dakota, I guess it won't be too long until we will need snow pants, soup and hot chocolate to keep us warm and happy.

Much love to your family, Amber

3 comments: