Monday, September 29, 2014

Homeschool Co-op

I'm cheating a little. I get the privilege of sending my two older daughters to school 4 days a week, and, I also get to take all three of my littles to homeschool co-op every other Friday. We love it!


In the co-op, moms get the opportunity to teach kids what they enjoy teaching them, which works great! There is a super sweet lady who does preschool with the kiddos. Saige loves it! She asked me the other day for an a-a-apple. There is also science class with chemical vs. physical reaction experiments, art class, Bible class, pledge recitations, and usually a shared lunch. Oh, and I get to teach home ec! So far we've made a berry crisp and this last Friday, I made smoothies.

The smoothie idea is one I borrowed from a friend. I often make the girls berry smoothies with frozen berries, frozen banana, yogurt, milk, vanilla, honey and sometimes coconut. (You can always throw a few chia seeds in the mix for an extra boost of energy.) But, for my co-op class, I made the one that my friend told me about. I threw a few frozen bananas, ice, coconut milk, unsweetened cocoa, peanut butter, honey and vanilla in the blender, and it was delish! (Adding coffee might make it even better!)

Most of the kiddos enjoyed the smoothie. Julia wasn't too keen on it, but she's weird and wasn't feeling well that day. And, you just can't please them all!

Before I made the kids their smoothies, I spoke with them about Daniel and how he decided to only eat vegetable in the King's court. Because my sister recently did a current day Daniel fast, I know that both of these smoothies can be Daniel fast approved. And, I told them that. I'm not really sure it made a huge difference to any of them, but hopefully they understood the connection.

There you go! Feel free to re-purpose your own smoothie time with a little Bible lesson. Instead of chicken soup, it's a little smoothie for the soul.

3 comments: