Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Toothpaste, a Toothbrush and Silver


Well, I haven't been writing much lately, have I? I have missed it! After my 15k in Denver, I have been hosting family and friends and feeling so very blessed to do so. Dave's parents came last weekend, and I cooked almost as much as I would have if it were the holidays. It was a lot of fun! After my in-laws left, though, I told Dave that I would not be cooking the rest of the week. But, when friends called and said they'd be in town last night, I had to invite them over. So I made soup and banana bread for 9 extra people besides my 5, and they came for dinner. Once again we were blessed with a full home and full hearts.

Here are some pics from Dave's Dad and Step-Mom's visit:
Windy day at Theodore Roosevelt

High on the Hill Family Pic

A Nice Random Guy Offered to Take a Pic of our Group
(I'm always very relieved to get my camera back after someone offers to take a picture of us.)
King Grandpa Dan and his Little Princesses

Celebrating Grandpa Dan's Birthday
Grandma Christie and Saige Looking at Pictures
We had such a GREAT TIME!

Speaking of great times, I wanted to share with you my latest re-purposing trick! A few years ago, Dave's mom was kind enough to buy me some long tea spoons at an antique store. They are so nice, like the pretty ones you use in fancy restaurants. After using these pretty spoons a few times, I realized these spoons are silver. Oooh. Fancier still. But, then these little spoons decided to start tarnishing on me, and I felt as though they were too fragile to use. :(

Then, as I was reading in my checked out library book (Vinegar, Duct Tape, Milk Jugs & More by Earl Proulx), I found this trick: use toothpaste to take tarnish off of silver. (Don't use the gel kind of toothpaste, and don't scrub very hard on the silver, or you might scratch it.) This is a life saver for me and my long tea spoons. I was afraid to use any harsh chemicals on the spoons because then I really wouldn't use them again in a splendid cup of tea or any other drink. The chemicals could potentially make me or someone else sick! Toothpaste (with a little water) and an old toothbrush are much more natural cleaners. And I like natural.

Toothpaste Scrubbed on Tea Spoon with an Old Toothbrush

See All the Tarnish on the Paper Towel?


I remembered while I was lightly scrubbing my spoon that when I worked at a jewelry store in Oklahoma that the store owner recommended you can use also use toothpaste and an old toothbrush to gently remove gunk from jewelry. Must be something to toothpaste! I think my jewelry will get a bath next.

Thanks for reading today! Love to all of you and your families! -Amber

5 comments:

  1. oh!!! So good to know I have some long tea spoons that are silver too!! I think I shall tooth brush them!! Thanks for the tip!
    I love the family pix! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if baking soda would work? Love the pictures of the whole FAMILY!!! :)
    PS Missed you can see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great family time! And super fantastic food! Yummy! I gained several pounds but it was worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, you rock! Such great stuff here, always. Christie, we sure loved having you and dad visit. We hope all of our family can come up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Stephanie! Let me know how the spoons come out.
    Amy, baking soda does work also, I believe.
    Thanks Christie! You didn't look like you gained an ounce to me!
    Thanks Dave! Love you!

    ReplyDelete